Arvind Mulgaonkar is classed among the most renowned contemporary tabla maestros. He has piously preserved the traditional elegance of tabla repertoire. Born in 1937, Pandit Mulgaonkar has not only devoted his life to learning, mastering and preserving this treasure of rare tabla compositions but has also handed it down most generously to the next generation.
Arvind Mulgaonkar began his initial training in tabla under Late Babalal Islampurkar. Then he became a disciple of Amir Hussain Khan, doyen of Farrukhabad Gharana, and took advanced training for 14 years till Khansaheb’s death. Later he trained under Ahmedjan Thirakhawa for 3 years and Ata Hussain Khan of Rampur for 3 years.
· State Award from the Govt. of Maharashtra in 1992 for excellence in instrumental music.
· Award of Senior Fellowship from Govt. of India, Dept. of Culture for 1995 / 1996.
· ‘Swara Sadhana Ratna’ award from Swar Sadhana Samiti, Mumbai on 8th March 2003.
· ITC Sangeet Research Academy Award, 2006 for his lifelong and dedicated services to Indian classical music on 5th January,2007.
· Iyer Foundation, Mumbai, Award, 2007 for his lifetime achievement in music on 10th March,2007.
· Late Mrs.Vasundhara Pandit Memorial Award, 2007 for his immense contribution to Indian classical music on 26th July, 2007.